I was never a huge fan of white sauce on pasta (yes I know – what?) Everyone else seemed to love it and because it usually came along with bacon and cheese I was even less interested. I always hated bacon as a child and anything with dairy seemed to upset my stomach – hence the aversion to it.
So even since being vegan, vegan alternatives for white sauce have not been on the top of my list to try, I guess it’s the link that I make between white sauce and feeling ill. However I wanted to try making a creamy vegan pasta sauce full of flavour for a pasta and broccoli dish I make all the time.
I decided to experiment a little bit and the final product was delicious.
This has been one of my most requested recipes – so enjoy guys!
- 1 medium white onion chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/4 cups raw cashews (soaked overnight or if you forget like me just soak them in some hot water while you prep the other ingredients)
- 2 Tbs lemon juice
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup vegetable broth (add more as you blend if you find it is too thick)
- Half of a medium baked sweet potato – without skin
- Pepper to taste
Saute onion with 1/2 tsp of rice bran oil in a small pan, when onion starts to brown add the minced garlic and stir until fragrant (be careful not to burn the garlic).
Drain soaked cashews and add to a high speed blender, we use a Vitamix. Add onion/garlic mix ad all other ingredients and blend until smooth and creamy.
We usually pour this over a very simple meal of Pasta & Broccoli. I boil pasta and 2 heads of broccoli in the pot together until the pasta cooks then drain. Stir through Creamy Cashew Sauce and garnish with fresh herbs and pepper.
* pic is of the pasta and sauce fried up the following day! So good.